The Right to Life

Abortion is one of those topics that I find it difficult to be civil about when discussing. It's not a question about taxes or economic policies, of affordable healthcare or housing or of opportunity or education. It's about whether a person, and not just a person but the most pure and innocent of all persons - a little baby - gets the chance to live or die.

I went back and forth as to whether I should talk about this issue before the election but I've decided that I want to be able to look in the mirror and like what I see in the future even if it means endorsing candidates that I don't agree with on all issues or who's life decisions I don't always think are admirable. I fear that I might be so in support of one issue that I might neglect other issues that are also legitimate but that are opposed by candidates who are pro-life. I have friends both within the Body of Christ and outside it who think that other issues are more pressing or at least more practical and will vote differently than I will this November and I respect that and trust that they have prayed and contemplated about this and are voting their conscience. Every person must do what they believe to be right in their hearts and who am I to judge the servant of another (Romans 14:4)?

With that being said I believe that Abortion is the greatest human rights issue of our day. I say this because it is ultimately the question of whether one person gets the preogative to decide if another person lives or dies. I think that the government of the United States has done well to embrace and adopt the values of human rights whenever the different issues have come up and it is my earnest prayer and plea that as a nation we would again land in favor of human rights on this issue. Which is namely that all government exists to protect the basic rights afforded to mankind by His Creator - which is life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness with the emphasis for this topic being LIFE.

I implore my brothers and sisters both in the Lord and those who share the common experience of being human to see this issue from this perspective.

Comments

Popular Posts