Walk it Off

Prior to my appointment on October 18th one of the pins in my toe had partially come out on its own.  I have no idea if I hit it on something or if it got caught in a blanket while sleeping but one was clearly out further than the other.  I saw this as a good sign because my doctor had said that as my foot heals the swelling will go down and the pins will become easier to take out.

I again went to the appointment optimistic.  They called me in and took the X-Ray.  The guy who had taken my X-Ray joked about how messed up my foot was.  He was probably nervous and was looking to use humor to relieve the tension, but I saw it again as a test from the enemy.  It had been 3 months and three surgeries.  I had believed God the entire time in the midst of all manner of discouragement and I knew that just moments before when the miracle as to be confirmed that the enemy was trying something to get me out of faith.

They called me into the room and then the doctor was long in coming.  It probably took him 45 minutes to see me.  Needless to say, here I was waiting to see if my bone had continued to heal and to see if the nightmare was truly over or if I would need another surgery.  Sitting alone in a room with those thoughts in your mind can be tough.

But I actually did well.  I have memorized a lot of Scripture in my life and I just kept speaking the promises of God out loud.  In particular maybe a week after the initial accident I had heard a word from Chris Reed – an incredibly prophetic man from Morningstar Ministries – where he had told a man to read Psalm 84 one hundred times.  I believed that word was for me because the man’s name (which Chris had called out by Word of Knowledge) was “Daniel Falls.”  Daniel is my son’s name and he had been greatly on my heart since the accident had really affected him and Chris had said that the Lord was going to preserve this man from damage done by a fall.  I thought those 2 factors meant that God was also speaking to me about reading Psalm 84 one hundred times, so I decided to memorize this chapter and pray it every night until I had a belief that God was healing me.

It has turned out that the going from “strength to strength” (Psalm 84:7) has been the theme of my recovery.

So, in that room waiting for my doctor, I recited every verse of Scripture that I had ever memorized, and I came to a place – that though wasn’t perfect – was a place of belief that "it was finished".

When the doctor finally came, he looked at the X-rays, made some small talk and said “these are coming out” referencing the pins in my big toe.  He then proceeded to have me lay on my back and took them out.

People have asked me how it felt to have the pins come out and I can say that while it hurt some it was nothing compared to what I had been through before.  It was weird feeling the metal scrap against my bone – like nails on a chalkboard, except inside my foot – but after a couple of seconds it was over.

Following that the doctor gave me bandages to wrap around the 2 holes and told me to “walk it off.”  I still appreciate that joke because that is exactly what I ended up doing.

Still, walking out of the doctor’s office that day was so strange.  I felt like a wounded animal limping away from a fight that I had somehow survived.  It would take a while before I felt comfortable using my toe to walk again.


Previous Chapter

Next Chapter

Comments

Popular Posts