Walking, Running and Playing Tennis

Once I was allowed to use my toe for walking, I found that every step was extremely painful.  I could only walk without pain if I walked very slowly.  Nonetheless I committed myself to walking every night a quarter of a mile.  It was really cold and I was very slow.  Anybody who saw me walking like that probably wondered who this strange person was.  Why would someone walk so slowly like this in the cold? But I persisted.

And I was able to get to a place where I was able to walk fast (albeit with lots of pain).  The day before my appointment in November I had gotten so pumped up as I was walking that I felt I could run.  I almost did run but stopped myself because I wanted to wait to hear what my doctor would say.

At every point along the way of my recovery things were uncertain.  Would my toe be amputated?  Would I need a fourth surgery?  Would I be able to do things like run and play sports?  In the midst of these questions, I put my trust in God and believed that He would heal me so I could walk, run and play tennis.

~

When I got to the doctor on November 17th, he had very good news for me.  He told me that I could now run, jump and mountain climb.  He said that I can do whatever I want with my toe.  He also said that this was the best he had ever seen a toe that went through an accident like I did.

This was some of the best news that I had ever heard in my life.  It had been nearly 4 months since the accident and here I was being told that I was going to be able to do the physical activities that I had loved doing my whole life. I showed this video in chapter 5, but it was actually recorded 3 days after I had received this news.

 

 

My doctor did mention that if it turned out that for whatever reason that I needed a surgery in the future that I could have one.  When he saw 3 months later, he confirmed that I didn’t need a surgery and put it off into the future indefinitely.  As he was leaving that he told me that he was still shocked that I was able to keep my toe.

~

When he told me that I could run, I literally ran that night.  Just like walking, running was very painful at first.  I could only do it by listening to techo music as I ran.  But I eventually found a groove and was able to run without pain.  In a strange turn of events I actually mastered running before I figured out how to walk fast without pain.

I eventually found my groove with walking fast as well.  I also started playing tennis in my gym’s racquetball courts.  After playing for some time I was able to play on the balls of my feet – which was big progress.

As of a year later my toe does have some bend in both joints but it currently does not have the same range of motion as my right toe.  I believe that God will bring it back in time.  Other than that things are basically the same.  Whenever I have a new type of movement I try to ease myself into it to try to make sure I’m confident that I can do that move but my everyday activities – from walking at work, to running a mile, to playing with my kids – I can do without issue.

I am so grateful to God that He carried me through this time.  During which I found in Him a Friend, who sticks closer than a brother (Proverbs 18:24).

 

You pushed me violently so that I fell, but the Lord helped me.

 -Psalm 118:13


Previous Chapter

Appendix

Comments

Popular Posts